Saturday 19 February 2011

Interview 9: Cath Ball. Porcelain Stitched Ceramics.

Catherine Ball is one of Designers Marketplace's most loyal members, and has been selling her ceramics at our events since our very first market back in October 2008. Todays blog post is a little insight into the world of ceramic design maker Cath Ball, who will be selling her beautiful wares at next weeks market in Newcastle - See out FB pages for more info! http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=52653224552

Cath Ball: "Yes, stitched ceramics! I combine both ceramics and textiles within my work. After studying an applied arts course in Carlisle (where I am still based) I continued to develop my work and set out as a designer maker. I now work from my studio at home in a small village just six miles west of Carlisle. I use a variety of techniques such as wheel thrown pottery, slip casting and hand building which are all inspired in some way from textiles, whether it is the texture of lace or stitching into the surface of the clay".


You could say I’m challenging the conventional use of clay ‘‘can you really stitch into clay?’’


"I always enjoy taking part in designer fairs and I feel it’s important to see what other people are producing as well as taking an interest and supporting other designer makers. At Designers Marketplace it’s always a great opportunity for me to also find lots of lovely gifts for family and friends, I never come away empty handed".

Visit: www.stitchedceramics.com

No comments: